Sunday, October 24, 2010

Election Time!

Tomorrow is municipal election time in my neck of the woods.  Time to vote for the next Mayor, Councillor, School Board Trustees and Regional Chair. 

My politics teacher in high school instilled in me the importance of voting - that it was our civic duty and that we couldn't complain about our government if we didn't speak up at election time.  He also taught me that it wasn't enough to just go through the motions - You need to know who and what you're voting for.

So for the last couple weeks I have been brushing up on my knowledge of these political posts as well as reading everything I can find about the various candidates.  I want to know what they believe in, what they stand for and why they think they deserve my vote.  The internet has made this so much easier than in the past when I had to rely on the newspaper and possibly a televised debate (providing I was available at the time or remembered to set the VCR!)  The typical candidate now has a website (and often a Facebook page) where they tell you everything you need to know.  Some are bare basics while others are a masterpiece of marketing.

When I head to the polls tomorrow, I'll feel confident that I'm voting for those who I believe are the best candidates for the jobs.  I hope that many others will have that same feeling when it's time for them to vote.  And for those who don't want to take the time to educate themselves in time for an election, I offer this advice - Please stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment